What are the requirements to host?
We have all kinds of spaces listed on Sniffspot, from small patios to schoolyards to huge farms. Our only requirements/criteria are that:
- The space be private (e.g., you own it or have complete control over who uses the space)
- The guest needs to be able to access the spot without passing through a private residence.
- The space needs to be safe and free from hazards - a non-comprehensive list of examples of hazards that we do not allow:
- Plants that are poisonous for dogs
- Insecurely fenced, partially fenced, or unfenced spaces near busy streets (< 5 acres cannot share an unfenced fence with a road with a speed limit over 35 mph or 80 kph)
- Insecurely fenced, partially fenced, or unfenced spaces that are less than 0.5 acres (~20,000 square feet)
- Electric fences cannot be live during visits if the electric part is less than 5 feet off the ground or not separated by a fence that most dogs can't get through.
- Swimming pools that are empty or have soft covers
- For spots under 10 acres, resident dangerous wild animals that prey on dogs or could easily kill a dog (such as alligator in pond, rattlesnake den, bear den, etc.). To be clear, this does not include the possibility of wild animals on the property, but only if it is known that dangerous wild animals are living on the property and the property is under 10 acres.
- You need to be able to provide a space free of dogs, other domestic animals, and people. Many of our hosts own dogs of their own, but our guests expect those dogs to be kept in an area separate from the sniff spot or inside during sniff spot visits unless the host and guest agree to have the dogs meet in advance.
- We don't allow advertising of anything illegal, unethical, offensive, or dangerous.
- We do not allow hosts that have certain criminal records:
- A conviction for murder, rape, terrorism, child molestation, felony burglary, felony larceny, or animal abuse / cruelty / neglect related charges
- Hosts on any sex offender registry
We allow you to describe your space and provide photos (see here for how to create great photos) to educate dog owners on the kind of space you are providing. The space does not have to be fenced, but we have a field on our listings that tells dog owners whether the space is fully fenced, partially fenced, or not fenced.
This is the full list of required information for sniff spots:
- Exact address
- First name
- Last name
We do not allow content that is pornographic / sexually explicit, threatening, harassing, abusive, or defamatory, or that contain nudity or graphic violence, incite violence, violate intellectual property rights, or violate the law or the legal rights (for example, privacy rights) of others. Any content that is added that fits this description will be removed and may result in the removal of the posting user.
Ready to host? You can learn more and get started here.